Come join ASPA Hampton Roads at the ANNUAL PUBLIC SERVICE AWARDS
Thursday May 9th, 2019 at the Quality Suites Lake Wright – Norfolk Airport (1521 Premium Outlets Blvd, Building A, Norfolk, VA, 23502)
Registration and Networking: 11:30-12:00
Welcome and Luncheon: 12:00-12:30
Recognition Program: 12:30-1:00
Registration (link): $20 Students, $25 Members and Guests
The Student-Practitioner/Scholar Resilience-Sustainability Research Symposium was held on March 21, 2019 from 9 am-1 pm at the Quality Suites Lake Wright-Norfolk Airport
1521 Premium Outlet Blvd., Norfolk, VA 23502.
The ASPA Hampton Roads Chapter Research Symposium included two panels, one for students and one for practitioners and scholars.
- Ronnie Parker, Regent University MPA, “Hampton Roads/RVA Joint Collaborative Efforts and Diversity: Creating National Recognition”
- Mechelle B. Smith, ODU PhD. Public Administration, “Social Vulnerability and Hurricane Response: Emergency Management Policy and Implementation in a Social Construction Paradigm”
- Debbie Cohen, Regent University, MA in National Security Studies, “EMP Policy, An Enhanced U.S. Electrical Grid”
- Joshua Steinfeld, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, School of Public Service, Old Dominion University, Cybersecurity Federal Procurement Processes – Approaches, Challenges, and Strategies.
- Michelle Covi, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Practice, Virginia Sea Grant Climate Adaptation and Resilience, Old Dominion University, Resilience Adaption Feasibility Tool.
- John Dano, Chief of Planning and Analysis, Hampton Roads Sanitation District, The SWIFT Program.
- Celeste Murphy, Greene, Ph.D. Associate Professor & Program Director, School of Continuing and Professional Studies, University of Virginia, Virginia’s Coastal Future: Strategies for Sustainability
Lunch & Keynote Speaker: Virginia Beach Mayor Bob Dyer
November 15, 2018 – ASPA Hampton Roads Luncheon
Resilience – The Military Perspective
- Rear Admiral Craig Quigley – Executive Director of Hampton Roads Military and Federal Facilities Alliance (slides)
- General Ronald Lewis – Chair of the Hampton Roads Chamber Military Affairs Committee (slides)
Featured Speakers at the September Luncheon:
Dr. Wie Yusuf is an Associate Professor in the School of Public Service, Strome College of Business at ODU and is the Steering Committee Chair of the Resilience Collaborative. As a policy scholar, her focuses are on climate change and environmental policy, transportation policy, and fiscal policy. The ODU Resilience Collaborative (ODURC) is a consortium of leading scholars actively engaged in research, education, and outreach on critical issues for resilience at the community, regional, national, and global levels as a coordinated effort for resilience collaboration. [Dr. Yusuf’s presentation (PDF).]
Kyle Spencer is the Deputy Resilience Officer for the City of Norfolk and will speak about Norfolk’s resilience strategy, which contains actionable recommendations to face and respond to our current and future challenges and capitalize on our strengths and opportunities. The actions that support the strategy are diverse, but all of them are a commitment to a new way of doing business — collective and coordinated action to build resilience. [Mr. Spencer’s presentation (Google Drive link).]
The event was held at the Quality Suites Lake Wright, 1521 Premium Outlets Blvd, Building A, Norfolk, VA, 23502 on September 20, 2018 from 11:30-1:15 PM.
The Hampton Roads Chapter of the American Society for Public Administration held its Annual Public Service Awards Luncheon at the Holiday Inn Norfolk Airport on Thursday – May 10, 2018.
Scholarship & Awards
- Chapter Scholarship – Linda S. Waite, Regent University
- Julian F. Hirst Award for Distinguished Service – David E. Jurgens, P.E., Director of Public Utilities, Chesapeake, VA
Topic: Building Skills for Innovation and Creativity.
On March 15, 2018, from 9:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., we held the ASPA Hampton Roads March Symposium and luncheon at the Holiday Inn Norfolk Airport.
9:30 – 10:45 Using Data for Informed Decision-Making
Introductions by Celeste Greene
Lindsay Voter, United Way South Hampton Roads. Greater Hampton Roads Connects
Tancy Vandecar-Burdin, Center for Social Research. Quality of Life in Hampton Roads
Natasha Singh-Miller, Data Scientist, City of Virginia Beach. Open VB
Mark Barham, Information Technology Director, City of Williamsburg. Williamsburg Performs
11:00 – 11:45 Innovation in Practice: Newport News Choice Neighborhood Initiative
Introductions by Jerry Hoddinot
Karen Wilds, Executive Director, Newport News Redevelopment & Housing Authority
Britta Ayers, Manager, Comprehensive Planning, Newport News Department of Planning
11:45 Lunch & Networking
12:15 – 1:15 Capacity Building for Innovation
Introductions by Kaitlynn Benn
Bob Trahan, City of Virginia Beach, Innovation Academy Curriculum & Results
Kaitlynn Castelle and Charlie Daniels, Design Thinking in the Public SectorDesign Thinking in the Public Sector
Sorry folks! The Hampton Jan 18 roundtable discussion had to be canceled due to evening driving conditions. An Email will be going to all of those who registered.