When/where: Thursday, November 21 from 11:30-1:00 at the Quality Suites Lake Wright, 1521 Premium Outlets, Norfolk, VA 23502.
Registration is open (link).
Our guest speaker for the November luncheon will be Latiesha D. Handie, Executive Director of the Hampton Diversity College.
“The Hampton Diversity College (HDC) is a multi-level and interactive educational program that concentrates on increasing knowledge on the value of diversity, unity, and inclusion in contemporary workplaces and in our community.” The HDC is an exciting municipal program, working actively with the community, public agencies, and the public sector. Since its inception, the HDC has achieved numerous national accolades for innovations and diversity in local government.
Gabe Diaz, HDC Program Coordinator, will also be attending to help answer any questions about the program.
Our September speaker was Paula Bazemore from the Virginia Center for Inclusive Communities (VCIC; https://inclusiveva.org/). Their mission is “Addressing prejudices, in all forms, to improve academic achievement, increase workplace productivity, and enhance local trust.” The VCIC works with schools, businesses, and communities to achieve success by addressing prejudices, in all forms, in order to improve academic achievement, increase workplace productivity, and enhance local trust. Through workshops, retreats, and customized programs that raise knowledge, motivation, and skills, VCIC develops leaders who work together to achieve success throughout the Commonwealth.
Ms. Bazemore is the Hampton Roads Program Manager at VCIC. In her role, she serves as the link between VCIC and community partners through designing, facilitating, and convening diversity and inclusion workshops.
The luncheon was held on September 19th from 11:30-1:00 at the Quality Suites Lake Wright, 1521 Premium Outlets, Norfolk, VA 23502.
Article in PA Times from ASPA HR President Tom Poulin.
Thank you all for your participation in our FY 2018-19 program year. The results of our chapter election have been finalized and we are pleased to announce the winners of the FY 2019-20 election:
President: Thomas Poulin
Student Representative: Brian Ronan
Council Members: Wie Yusuf, Gary Roberts, Stanley Skinner, and Jerry Hoddinott
Just as a reminder, we have several returning council members: Elijah Agyapong, Kelly Doolan, Celeste Greene, and Jianchong Luo.
Congratulations to each of you and we look forward to our FY 2019-20 program year.
On Thursday, May 9th, 2019, ASPA Hampton Roads held its ANNUAL PUBLIC SERVICE AWARDS at the Quality Suites Lake Wright – Norfolk Airport (1521 Premium Outlets Blvd, Building A, Norfolk, VA, 23502)
ASPA Hampton Roads Scholarship – Ogechukwu M. Agim (ODU PhD Student)
Pindur Award – Eric Patterson, Ph.D (bio)
The Student-Practitioner/Scholar Resilience-Sustainability Research Symposium was held on March 21, 2019 from 9 am-1 pm at the Quality Suites Lake Wright-Norfolk Airport
1521 Premium Outlet Blvd., Norfolk, VA 23502.
The ASPA Hampton Roads Chapter Research Symposium included two panels, one for students and one for practitioners and scholars.
- Ronnie Parker, Regent University MPA, “Hampton Roads/RVA Joint Collaborative Efforts and Diversity: Creating National Recognition”
- Mechelle B. Smith, ODU PhD. Public Administration, “Social Vulnerability and Hurricane Response: Emergency Management Policy and Implementation in a Social Construction Paradigm”
- Debbie Cohen, Regent University, MA in National Security Studies, “EMP Policy, An Enhanced U.S. Electrical Grid”
- Joshua Steinfeld, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, School of Public Service, Old Dominion University, Cybersecurity Federal Procurement Processes – Approaches, Challenges, and Strategies.
- Michelle Covi, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Practice, Virginia Sea Grant Climate Adaptation and Resilience, Old Dominion University, Resilience Adaption Feasibility Tool.
- John Dano, Chief of Planning and Analysis, Hampton Roads Sanitation District, The SWIFT Program.
- Celeste Murphy, Greene, Ph.D. Associate Professor & Program Director, School of Continuing and Professional Studies, University of Virginia, Virginia’s Coastal Future: Strategies for Sustainability
Lunch & Keynote Speaker: Virginia Beach Mayor Bob Dyer
November 15, 2018 – ASPA Hampton Roads Luncheon
Resilience – The Military Perspective
- Rear Admiral Craig Quigley – Executive Director of Hampton Roads Military and Federal Facilities Alliance (slides)
- General Ronald Lewis – Chair of the Hampton Roads Chamber Military Affairs Committee (slides)
Featured Speakers at the September Luncheon:
Dr. Wie Yusuf is an Associate Professor in the School of Public Service, Strome College of Business at ODU and is the Steering Committee Chair of the Resilience Collaborative. As a policy scholar, her focuses are on climate change and environmental policy, transportation policy, and fiscal policy. The ODU Resilience Collaborative (ODURC) is a consortium of leading scholars actively engaged in research, education, and outreach on critical issues for resilience at the community, regional, national, and global levels as a coordinated effort for resilience collaboration. [Dr. Yusuf’s presentation (PDF).]
Kyle Spencer is the Deputy Resilience Officer for the City of Norfolk and will speak about Norfolk’s resilience strategy, which contains actionable recommendations to face and respond to our current and future challenges and capitalize on our strengths and opportunities. The actions that support the strategy are diverse, but all of them are a commitment to a new way of doing business — collective and coordinated action to build resilience. [Mr. Spencer’s presentation (Google Drive link).]
The event was held at the Quality Suites Lake Wright, 1521 Premium Outlets Blvd, Building A, Norfolk, VA, 23502 on September 20, 2018 from 11:30-1:15 PM.
The Hampton Roads Chapter of the American Society for Public Administration held its Annual Public Service Awards Luncheon at the Holiday Inn Norfolk Airport on Thursday – May 10, 2018.
Scholarship & Awards
- Chapter Scholarship – Linda S. Waite, Regent University
- Julian F. Hirst Award for Distinguished Service – David E. Jurgens, P.E., Director of Public Utilities, Chesapeake, VA