The Future of Public Service: Questions from Students
The webinar was held on Thursday, January 21, 2021 – Noon – 1pm Eastern.
“That’s when America soars, when we look out for one another and we take care of each other, when we root for one another’s success, when we strive to do better and to be better than the generation that came before us and try to build something better for generations to come, that’s why we do what we do. That’s the whole point of public service.” – Barack Obama
In November 2020, we asked students – the next generation of public service leaders – what issues, questions, or concerns they have regarding responsive public service of the future. As 2021 dawns, we attempt to address their issues, questions, and concerns.
The webinar’s three panelists discussed three themes that are top of mind for our students and future public service leaders:
- Citizen engagement on critical public service issues
- Social equity and environmental justice
- Workforce of the future
- Dr. Kenneth Chandler, Deputy City Manager, City of Virginia Beach
- Mrs. Latara Rouse, Communications Manager, James City County
- Mr. Zach Nissen, Community Outreach Coordinator, Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia and the Eastern Shore